General Conference Preparation #1

Today marks the beginning of one of my favorite weeks of the year; I have a handful of them. I love General Conference!  General Conference is intended to be a revelatory experience as we learn from the living prophets and apostles through the power of the Holy Ghost. Revelation is a really cool thing. If you think about it, we can all hear the same talk and yet get a message that is specific to just us. Personal revelation can reassure us, comfort us in times of need, and sustain and hold us together when times are tough. 

I don't know about you, but I have heard I need to prepare for conference all my life, but I was not sure for a long time just what I needed to do to prepare. I thought I would share one thing I use to help me prepare in the hopes it will be a springboard to help you as the Spirit shows you the best way for you to prepare yourself and your family. 

A week before conference, I like to do this activity to begin my preparations. It only takes a couple of minutes. Find a quiet place and on a small piece of paper write down the following: 

  1. Things that have been on your mind.
  2. A gospel topic you have been wanting to learn more about or are struggling with.
  3. A relationship in your life that needs strengthening.
  4. Something you are wanting to improve in your life.

After a few minutes, circle the three things that are the most important to you right now. Then, fold this piece of paper and put it in your scriptures or journal.

I invite you to do the following this week in preparation for the messages given at General Conference: 

  1. Pray for your heart to be open to the things Heavenly Father has prepared for you to hear and that you will recognize them. 
  2. Pray for those speaking that they will have the Spirit with them.
  3. Pray specifically for the three things you have circled.

Keep your folded paper close to you as you listen to General Conference. I encourage you to jot down anything that sticks out to you as you listen to the speakers. Once all the sessions are over, open your folded paper and compare it with the notes you have taken.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Utah Pioneers

"Light cleaveth unto light"

Roma - day 2