An Elect Lady

“Can I introduce you to my daughter,” he asked, taking me by the hand.

A recent convert, this young African man felt unsure of his ability when he accepted the call to teach seminary in his branch. As the only person he knew who attended seminary, this man reached out to my son for help and guidance. Knowing I was also teaching seminary, my son encouraged his African friend to email me his questions. Thus, we began our year-long adventure teaching seminary together – him on the west coast of Africa and me on the east coast of the United States.

We stopped at the school where he taught that day in late May. He asked his wife to come to the school during his lunch break to meet us as well. Handing me his daughter, he said, “This is Emma. Like Emma Smith.” He had not even known who Emma Smith was at the beginning of the seminary year but had grown to love her as he studied and taught the Doctrine and Covenants. “I want her to grow to have the faith and courage of Emma,” he continued.

Like this humble African man, I, too, have great love and respect for Emma Smith. It seems so appropriate our Come Follow Me schedule has us in Section 25 the same week as International Women’s Day and the same month we celebrate the 179th anniversary of the Relief Society.

Emma had already endured so much by the time of this revelation. Her entire married life had been filled with oppression and controversy, but the persecution escalated even further in the four months following the Church’s organization. She buried her firstborn, who lived only a few hours, and went on to bury five additional young children. Baptized a month earlier, she was still awaiting her confirmation with its promised blessings because a mob came creating havoc that ended with her husband’s arrest. Imagine the comfort she felt when the Lord called her His daughter (D&C 25:1) and reassured her He would “preserve [her] life” (D&C 25:2). In the end, Emma literally sacrificed everything she had – her family, her home, her children, her comfort, her health, and even her husband - for the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ.

Life can be hard, sometimes really hard. Emma Smith lived that tough life for decades. While the hard she lived looked different, I think she can empathize with the struggles we face in 2021 - the sleepless nights, the feelings of inadequacy, the responsibilities and demands that exceed the time available, the loneliness and isolation, and the grieving hearts. I know I have felt them all, and I believe Emma did as well.

Once again, I found comfort and strength this week from my study of Emma and her revelation. There is so much to learn from these sixteen verses. They empowered Emma and all women; they show the critical role Emma played and all women play in moving God’s work forward. They remind me that women have been and will always be central to The Plan. The words in this chapter mimic those of our Prophet.1

My African friend’s greatest desire for his daughter is for her to be like Emma. She was strong, diligent, and faithful. She persevered and prevailed no matter her circumstances. Emma’s greatest desires were wisdom, the companionship of the Spirit, to know and understand “the designs of God,” and discernment.2 She wanted to be a good mother, to always honor and be unified with her husband, and see her family and friends embrace the gospel. She wanted to “wear a cheerful countenance,” do what she covenanted to do, and to be a blessing to those in her circle of influence.

I don’t have all the answers, and I still have so much to learn about the role of womanhood in God’s Plan. This week these words brought hope and the courage to continue pressing on: “… lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made” (D&C 25:13). I, too, want to be like Emma.


1 See “Sisters’ Participation in the Gathering of Israel,” General Conference, October 2018; “Spiritual Treasures,” General Conference, October 2019; “Embrace the Future with Faith,” General Conference, October 2020.
2 wpengine, “Emma's Last Blessing,” The Joseph Smith and Emma Hale Smith Historical Society (https://www.josephsmithjr.org/emmas-last-blessing : 10 March 2021), July 19, 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Light cleaveth unto light"

My Utah Pioneers

Roma - day 2