In the beginning . . .

I have been reading several blogs for a couple of years now. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). Last December Elder M. Russell Ballard gave an address at BYU-Hawaii and encouraged the students to join the world conversation by using the Internet to share the gospel. While I am not a student at BYU-I, I have had the impression the last few months that I need to join that conversation by starting a blog.

Anyone who knows me knows that my faith defines what I am about and who I am. However, my desire for this blog is to be more than just that. My husband (coach) and I find ourselves in the middle of changing worlds. For years we have actively been coaching our team (volleyball girl, flyboy, and backman) and watching them grow and improve, often times stumbling before the growth and improvement comes. We now find ourselves watching as our team is being drafted to other teams. In just a matter of weeks, we will be left with just one member of our team, in addition to myself and coach. While they will always be a member of our team, we do find ourselves at the point where for their best interest it is time for them to move on to other teams as well. It is my hope that this blog will serve as a means of helping our team keep up with each other during our travels.

Have you ever had something you read hit you like a bolt of lightening? This happened to me several years ago when I read a passage in the Book of Mormon - 2 Nephi 5:27 - "And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." As I thought about it, that was exactly what I wanted - to live in a manner of happiness. In my studies of happiness and joy I ran across the following quote:

"Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God. But we cannot keep all the commandments without first knowing them, and we cannot expect to know all, or more than we now know unless we comply with or keep those we have already received." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Five, 1842–43, p. 255)

I sure hope you'll join me on my blog as I chronicle our team's adventures as we learn to live in a manner of happiness.

Meet our t
eam:


Volleyball girl (21) is currently part of the BYU team. She loves living in Provo and the life she has created there, unless it is spring where the days may start out at 75 degrees and then snow before the day is over. She recently changed her area of focus to recreation management, which is a good fit for her. While we miss her, we are so pleased with the development and growth we have seen in her since joining her new team.



Flyboy (18) is thinking it is time for him to join another team this summer. He is finishing up his last few weeks of high school and has been given an opportunity to join his dream team in June - Air Force Academy. Provided he survives boot camp this summer, he will be joining their swim team there in addition to the academic team with hopes of an engineering focus.





Luckily for coach and I, backman (14) is still around for a little longer. He is still very active in swimming and has set some high goals for himself this summer. He just recently switched club teams to the Georgia Coastal Aquatic Team (GCAT). He is finishing up the 8th grade and cannot wait to begin high school next fall. He just received his Eagle rank in Boy Scouts and is looking forward to his court of honor in a few weeks.

Coach remains very busy in life. He LOVES his job, but then who wouldn't love being paid a great salary to consult. He still does consulting for the FAA on the side and that currently is keeping him very busy. This past year he has certified as an Automatic Timing Operator (ATO) with Georgia Swimming and during home meets you can often find him sitting on the stand running the timing equipment. He is still serving as Elder's Quorum President at church and this keeps him busy and out of trouble.

I still manage to keep busy running our home and the kids. Just last night I commented that I don't know how someone who works full time manages to get everything done. Hats off to those of you who do work! I am currently teaching seminary (like a Bible study class) each morning in our home to the high school students in our area. This is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever loved! In those rare spare minutes I can find I love to garden. It is fun learning to garden in a different area of the country (AGAIN). I love to read and cannot wait for summer to come and hopefully more free minutes to read. I have a local book group that keeps me reading during the school year. What a great group of ladies we have and what fun times we have together. Last year I decided to learn to quilt. I haven't had much time to quilt the past few months, and I cannot wait to begin again after the next few weeks are behind me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Utah Pioneers

"Light cleaveth unto light"

Roma - day 2