What We Are Becoming

 

Years ago, I belonged to a very diverse book group. We all came from different walks of life. Some were young, and others were well beyond retirement, with a few sprinkled in between. We all belonged to different churches. Our eclectic group had just two things in common: we were all active in our chosen religion, and we loved to read. Our book chats often bled into religious discussions, and I learned so much about my own beliefs because they were willing to share theirs. I always walked away from our time together with my perspective expanded and with something to ponder.
I was part of this group the first two years I taught seminary, and they often asked about my class when I saw them. The New Testament was the course of study in my first year. Our book group met the week I taught 1 Corinthians 15, so I asked what verses 40-41 meant to them at one point during our discussion.
40 There are also celestial bodies and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
As each person shared, the Spirit quietly tutored me. When asked what these verses meant to me, I shared a short version of the Plan of Happiness. Our time together discussing these verses can only be described as sacred. Later, while walking out to our cars, one wise friend made a comment that has forever expanded my perspective of the Plan of Happiness. She said, “I think the difference in the way we each view these verses can be summed up by saying you believe they represent a destination, and I believe they are a state of being.”
I was reminded of this experience again this past week, as I am each time I study D&C 76. This series of visions beautifully expounds these verses in 1 Corinthians. So often, our discussions about the Plan of Happiness focus on where we were, where we are, and where we are going to be – the destination my friend observed. The shift her comment elicited helped me realize our focus should be on what we were, what we are, and what we are becoming. While the location (destination) is indeed a part of the plan, it misses the purpose for the plan: God wants us to become like Him.
Becoming like the Savior is the essence of the Gospel. It is why we are here on Earth. Sister Becky Craven shared her testimony of becoming when she said, “I testify that because of Jesus Christ, we can change. We can adjust our habits, alter our thoughts, and refine our character to become more like Him” (“Keep the Change,” General Conference, October 2020). I add my witness to hers: with His help, we can change to become more like Him.
As you begin this week with new sections to study, I invite you to think back over what you learned from the visions in D&C 76. What did you learn about Christ that will help you become more like Him? What change will you make this week to help you become more like the Savior?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Light cleaveth unto light"

My Utah Pioneers

Roma - day 2