He is Risen!

Gentle Healer by Greg Olsen

I cannot explain how, but I found myself carried away to another place as soon as the dramatic organ started playing. What transpired those few minutes as I listened to the Tabernacle Choir sing “O Divine Redeemer” can only be described as sacred. This sacred tutoring continued during the thirty-minute drive home from that seminary inservice meeting. I had heard the song plenty of times before, but this time was very different. Little did I know how often I would return to this experience in the coming months. 

The following week we received some news that made me stop and consider the days ahead. Life as I knew it was changing, and I wondered how we would get through this experience as a family. The next year was messy . . . really messy. Over and over again I found myself knocked to my knees with nowhere else to turn. Perhaps you have been there before. Maybe you are there right now. 

Each time I prayed, I felt prompted to listen to this hymn again, and I returned to the personal tutoring of that sacred evening and the reminder I was not walking the tumultuous path alone. Over the years, my relationship with my Savior and Redeemer has deepened little by little as I study more about Him and work to strengthen my discipleship. The more I learn about Him, the more I understand that He knows and understands each of us individually. 


Spring always reminds me of this experience. I love to watch the earth come to life again. Lately, I find myself drawn to my lanai to admire my Chinese fringe tree in her full glory - a reminder Easter is coming. Elder Richard G. Scott taught, “Easter is that sacred season when the heart of each devout Christian turns in humble gratitude to our beloved Savior. It is a season that should bring peace and joy to all who love Him and show it by obeying His commandments. Easter brings thoughts of Jesus, His life, His Atonement, His Resurrection, His love.” 

Today, Palm Sunday, marks the beginning of one of my favorite weeks of the year – the week I focus on my deep gratitude for my Savior and the real and personal relationship I have with Him. Though I have not seen Him, I know He Lives! 

President Nelson, in a video released this morning, invited us to “make this coming week truly holy by remembering not just the palms that were waved to honor the entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem, but by remembering the palms of His hands. . . . He continued, “do something this week to follow His teachings. . . . You can start today on a new spiritual quest.” 

As you prepare this week for General Conference and Easter, I invite you to create some space each day to focus on our Savior and your relationship with Him. Like it did all those years ago, I find music helps draw me closer to Him. I want to share a playlist with a few of my favorite hymns. I would love for you to share your favorites with us to enjoy this week.  



If neither of those playlists works:
I Know That My Redeemer Lives (sung by Julie Garcia in the St. Johns Ward) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Light cleaveth unto light"

My Utah Pioneers

Roma - day 2