New Year Reflection

The coming of a new year always has been a time of self-reflecting for me. Where am I now, and where do I want to be next year? What did I learn last year, and how can I do better next year? It usually takes me a few weeks of processing to feel like I’ve captured everything. My reflection this month has been different than any other before – I think in large part because last year was unlike any I’ve seen before. There’s been a heaviness in my reflection this year I have not experienced in prior years. So many words could be used to sum up last year, but the one that seems to encompass it all is divisive. It seems everything and everyone are being divided in extremes that I personally have never seen before. I’ve had the recurring thought over and over the last few months that there are so many “ites” among us right now (see 4 Nephi 1:17). At a time when we should be pulling together, so many have fallen victim to division. The constant cacophony and discord around us have led to even further separation and isolation. As followers of Christ, we know where to put our focus and who to follow, but chaos and confusion often cloud the way. Never have I felt the mists of darkness more prevalently. Several times in the last few months I’ve wondered if I am continually holding fast to the rod or simply clinging (see David A. Bednar, “Lehi’s Dream,” Ensign, October 2011). I’ve turned to the scriptures and words of the prophets to help guide me through the mists we are currently in. Jacob teaches, “… they who are not for me are against me, saith our God” (2 Nephi 10:16). Quoting William Law, Elder Maxwell taught: “If you have not chosen the kingdom of God first, it will in the end make no difference what you have chosen instead” (General Conference, April 1974). Elder Holland put it this way: “The future of this world has long been declared; the final outcome between good and evil is already known. There is absolutely no question as to who wins because the victory has already been posted on the scoreboard. The only really strange thing in all of this is that we are still down here on the field trying to decide which team's jersey we want to wear” (BYU Devotional 1983). Christ has provided lighthouses to guide us through the mist of darkness we currently find ourselves in. What are they doing, and what are they saying? This week they encouraged us to “to be united in our commitment to the Savior, Jesus Christ, and His teachings” (newsroom.churchofjesuschirst.org, 15 January 2021). In other words, they’ve invited us to let go of the “ites” and put on the true winning team’s jersey. I’m in! Are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Utah Pioneers

"Light cleaveth unto light"

Roma - day 2