The Endgame


Several years ago, before he became President of the Church, then Elder Nelson gave a talk in General Conference titled “A Plea to My Sisters.” I have had the words of this talk etched in my soul since then.
“Today, … we need women who know how to make important things happen by their faith and who are courageous defenders of morality and families. … We need women who are devoted to shepherding God’s children along the covenant path toward exaltation; women who know how to receive personal revelation, who understand the power and peace of the temple endowment; women who know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen children and families; women who teach fearlessly. …

“… [W]e need women who have a bedrock of understanding of the doctrine of Christ and who will use that understanding to teach and help raise a sin-resistant generation. We need women who can detect deception in all of its forms. We need women who know how to access the power that God makes available to covenant keepers and who express their beliefs with confidence and charity. We need women who have the courage and vision of our Mother Eve” (Ensign, Nov. 2015, emphasis added).

I have watched President Nelson lead and guide us in becoming ‘bedrock’ women since becoming President. First, he invited us to read the Book of Mormon in a short window of time. Then, he gave us the opportunity to teach first from the New Testament and now from the Book of Mormon in our homes. Then last fall he invited us to study D&C 25, D&C 84, and D&C 107 so that we can “understand, and use the power with which we have been endowed” so that our “ability to draw upon this spiritual treasure … will increase” (“Spiritual Treasures,” Ensign, Oct. 2019). These words reminded me of Moroni’s when he tells Ammoron he “will not exchange prisoners,” but will instead “arm my women and my children” (Alma 54:12).

In preparation for Conference, I am studying these three chapters again this week. Three verses from D&C 25, along with the links and notes I have in my scriptures, took me on a little journey this morning.

“…thou art an elect lady, whom I have called.

“And thou shalt be ordained under his hand to expound scriptures, and to exhort … according as it shall be given thee by my Spirit. …

“…this is my voice to all.” (D&C 25:3, 7, 16)

Tucked in my notes in this chapter is an analogy I love. I stumbled upon it deep in the comments on a post in my Instagram feed, and I do not know the person who shared it, but I have not been able to forget it.

“Chess has three parts: opening, middle game, and endgame. The opening is the development of pieces – you’re setting up your strategy. The middle game is the implementation of your strategy. The endgame is hopefully where you’re seeing the fruition of your strategy – you’re closing the trap. The queen is the most powerful piece on the board, and it is conventional chess wisdom that you postpone playing your queen for as long as you can. The longer you can delay developing your queen, the more likely you will have your most powerful piece for endgame. The Lord is the Master Strategist and knows exactly how to win. Current announcements and policy changes and pleadings from the Prophet appear to be the Lord bringing His queens into play in preparation for endgame.” (comment by @danette_peterson on @emilybellefreeman’s Instagram post, November 14, 2019).

I hope each of you knows just how much the Lord loves you. He has reserved you for His endgame and has been preparing you for this time. As I shelter in place right now due to COVID-19, I am strengthened thinking of the ‘bedrock’ women he has armed around me. You have been ordained for this, and you have His promise that your ability to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen your children and families will be increased. May you especially feel His peace and joy this week as you finish preparing for and bask in this “unique” conference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Utah Pioneers

"Light cleaveth unto light"

Roma - day 2