The Yellow-shirted Army of Angels

Having spent the previous week in the house answering the phone calls from the victims of Hurricane Matthew and creating work orders for them, yesterday I felt like I needed to get out of the house.  So bright and early I packed a lunch and headed out the door with Mike and our neighbor.  Before heading out into the community to serve, we joined 100s of the yellow-shirted Mormon Helping Hands army for a short worship service.  The power I felt as we gathered was unlike any other I have felt before.  As in ancient times (see Alma 48:9), we gathered to fortify and strengthen ourselves before heading out to help and strengthen others. 

photo credit Michael S. Lavoie
Our crew's first stop of the morning was to a group of homes on the east banks of the St. Johns River in southern St. Johns County.  The destruction the water caused was unbelievable.  Chainsaws hummed as downed trees were cut down and dragged to the street and large pieces of their ruined docks were cut so they too could be taken to the piles of debris on the street.  Sheds were emptied and all the previously important storage was added to the ever-growing piles on the street.  Huge pilings were tied to trucks and drug to the street, fences were unearthed from the debris and stood back up and the flotsam and jetsam was gathered.  But in my opinion, the most important work done at these homes was listening as the homeowners shared their memories, providing a shoulder for them to cry on and renewing their hope in mankind and their faith in God. 

Our crew with Bill and Theresa
Shortly before we finished up at these homes, a FEMA adjuster arrived at the home I was working.  He walked the property with the man of the house looking at the destruction.  As they rounded the corner to the area I was working, the lady of the house was standing on the balcony above their heads.  She commented to her husband and the adjuster, “Aren’t these angels just a beautiful site.”  The adjuster replied to her, “These yellow-shirted angels have been on every job I have ever gone to.”  What an honor it is to belong to the yellow-shirt army!

As we finished up our work in this area, a local Methodist congregation appeared with Publix subs and fried chicken and water.  What power there is when differences in political and religious views are dropped and we all come together as a community and work together to help those in need, each doing what they can. 

More of our crew in front of the debris pile cleared from this home's yard
Following lunch we left the beautiful St. Johns River area and headed to the Crescent Beach area of St. Augustine.  I knew from the calls coming in the previous week that this was one of the worst hit areas.  Even knowing that, I was not prepared for what I saw driving those streets.  The streets were piled high with literally every personal possession these people owned.  Pulling up to our next home, it was difficult to find parking because of all the debris lining the streets. 

photo credit Michael S. Lavoie
We joined another crew at this home.  By the time we got there, almost all of her personal belongings from the first floor had been removed.  The very few items that could potentially be saved were on a tarp in her small front yard and yellow-shirted volunteers were meticulously washing them in an effort to try and preserve something for her.  The small house was filled with workers removing kitchen cabinets, drywall, insulation and flooring – essentially everything 48” above the floor and down.  Loading and hauling the sleds and wheelbarrows full of sheetrock, flooring and insulation to add them to the debris piles was heavy work.  As soon as they finished in one room, I then grabbed a shovel to scoop up the larger debris and then the broom to gather the nails and remaining debris.  Room after room they went.  She was so worried about not having a kitchen sink, that one man ran to the hardware store and picked up some 2x4s and then another man built her a frame to hold her kitchen sink, hoping to bring her a small bit of comfort in this chaos that had paralyzed her.  Her daughter and granddaughter came a little while after we arrived trying to coax her into coming to stay with them at night.  What a powerful reminder that all that really matters in life are people – our family and friends. 

Literally everything from the first floor of this little house was in her debris pile
Whether it has been for a few minutes on the phone, mucking a house, raking debris, clearing a shed or a few extra minutes spent listening, my hope is that I have been able to help people feel the love the Savior over the past 10+ days.  I have been asked by many the last few days why God would allow such destruction to happen.  I do not have an answer for that.  What I do know is that even amid the rubble of destruction, God is aware of each one of us and loves us.  He will bless and strengthen us.  He will hear the prayers pleading for strength and help.  A wise man once said, “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.”  (Spencer W. Kimball)  I am grateful for those people He has sent to me in answer to my prayers.  And I am grateful to have played a small role in being the answer to others prayers the past couple of weeks. What a privilege it has been to witness the outpouring of love as the yellow-shirted army of angels has wrapped their arms around those in my community who are currently suffering.  My faith has increased and my determination to serve someone every day has been strengthened.  Last night as I reflected back on my day, I felt a little closer to my Savior.  My prayer is that those we were able to help yesterday did to. 

“…Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”  (Matthew 25:40)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Utah Pioneers

"Light cleaveth unto light"

Roma - day 2