Be Still and Know
Three years ago, Mike and I had the opportunity to spend several weeks in Bengaluru, India. After nineteen hours in the air and two layovers, we landed at the Bengaluru Airport in the middle of the night. I immediately noticed the uncomfortable lack of personal space walking through the airport and standing in line at border control. Our airport experience was a precursor for our entire trip, and I quickly learned that personal space expectations were different in their culture. Think about exiting a football stadium after a sold-out game and magnify it ten times.
The markings on a divided road might indicate three lanes in each direction; however, road markings have no meaning there. Six, seven, even ten cars travel in those three lanes with mere inches between each vehicle. It is common to see motorcycles, Vespas, and other scooters shooting the gap between vehicles, often with three to five people packed on a single bike. What surprised me the most, I believe, was the noise. Car horns honked incessantly on our early morning drive from the airport to the hotel, and they continued all day and all night. We learned the people of Bengaluru use their horns for everything. You want to change lanes; honk your horn. You plan to stop; honk your horn. You plan to turn, honk your horn. You want to say hello; honk your horn. You get the picture. There seemed to be noise all the time, even lying in bed at night on the twenty-third floor with windows closed. I found myself often overloaded due to the lack of personal space, the crowding, and the noise. It seemed my only refuge was in the shower in our hotel room when all I heard and felt was the water.
In February 2020, just weeks before the United States shut down, President Nelson extended two invitations. "... [T]hink deeply and often about [a] key question: How do you hear Him? … and ... take steps to hear Him better and more often" (26 February 2020 blog post, The Church of Jesus Christ (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/inspiration/how-do-you-hearhim-a-special-invitation). The slowing down created by the pandemic allowed me to really focus on these invitations, and I am grateful for the sacred tutoring received. As gradually I began reintegrating back into the busyness of life, I noticed the feeling of being overwhelmed and oversaturated also returned from time to time.
Our Come Follow Me reading this past week focused on a time when the Saints also felt overwhelmed and oversaturated. These invitations from God extended to them seemed particularly applicable this week: "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God" (D&C 101:16). Choosing to create the space needed to be still requires intention – to deliberately carve small spaces in each day to slip away from the noise of the world where our hearts can be comforted, and we can #HearHim. I had several impressions come to me in the temple this week for little ways to create more of these sacred pockets in my life.
Where do you need Him to show up in your life right now? What can you do to create this stillness, so your heart can be comforted, and you can #HearHim?
Comments